with a lemon & maple syrup glaze
Makes 4 steaks Barbecuing time 15 minutes time 1 hour + 4 hours
for the steaks
150 g Seitan Fix (vital wheat gluten)
2 tbsp yeast flakes
1 tbsp cornflour
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp neutral vegetable oil
for the marinade
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp lemon zest
4 tbsp flavoured butter
A classic at any vegan barbecue. You must try our super juicy seitan steaks
with their lemon and maple syrup glaze.
- Mix together the Seitan Fix, yeast flakes, cornflour, salt, pepper and
paprika. Blend the beetroot together with 160 ml water and the vinegar,
mustard and oil. Combine the two mixtures and knead by hand to a
- Roll out the dough thinly and fold it over a few times. Repeat the operation
2–3 times while pressing down firmly with the back of your hand.
The more you press, the better the consistency.
- Shape the dough into a large loaf and cut it into four steaks.
Put the steaks in a steamer and steam them for 45 minutes.
- For the marinade, mix together the ingredients until smooth.
Add the hot steaks to the marinade and marinate for at least 4 hours,
- Grill the steaks over direct heat for 5–7 minutes each side, brushing
from time to time with the leftover marinade. Serve with the butter.
You can achieve attractive char marks if you sear the steaks
on a cast-iron grill. In this case, the cooking time is reduced
to 4–6 minutes each side.